DS provides generic data management services needed within the Accelerator & Technology Sector for the exploitation of the accelerator chain, and for the maintenance of the physical installations. Its services are used equally during the accelerator run and the long shutdowns and have a large, diverse user community, CERN-wide, and, in some instances, external to CERN.
The generic services provided by DS cater for:
- Documenting the topographical organisation of the accelerator complex and supporting systems;
- Managing configuration data for the accelerator control systems;
- Storing, extracting and analysing metrics and signals for long-term statistics, diagnostics & alarms, performance improvement and to meet INB requirements;
- Managing and interrogating the accelerator schedule data;
- Storing, extracting and analysing accelerator faults and corresponding availability
DS is responsible for all aspects related to developing the services and ensuring they fulfil their purpose over the years, taking a leading role in all technical matters, collaborating with the users, partners, and other service providers. This covers requirement analysis and data modeling, design and implementation of the corresponding data repositories, server-side processes, client APIs, and generic user-oriented applications.
Although DS is expected to provide services which help ensure the validity and integrity of the managed data, and advise users on how best to use the services to meet their needs, DS is ultimately not responsible for the validity or completeness of the data available through its infrastructure; this remains the responsibility of the groups using the section's services. In all cases, DS is not responsible for data entry.
The DS section also provides expertise and guidance on data management software technologies, methods and tools with a focus on quality and the use of standard solutions, promoting the use of existing tools available at CERN or outside.
In addition to the generic data services provided, the DS section may support dedicated data management solutions where appropriate. This is subject to agreement with all stakeholders, and the provision of suitable resources.
Examples of the generic services and on-going projects of DS include:
- Layout Database Service
- Controls Configuration Service
- CERN Accelerator Logging Service
- Accelerator Performance Statistics
- Accelerator Fault Tracking
- Accelerator Schedule Management
- Data Analysis Solutions
See here for more details on the above, and also other projects in the Controls group.